Monday, July 4, 2011

RWA Conference

So I went to the Romance Writers of America Conference, held in NYC this year.  I know, it was a really expensive excuse to get to Chinatown for the shopping.  Kidding.  I've wanted to attend this event for years.  I can remember buying the Romantic Times when I was younger, before I'd written a book or even seriously believed that I could, and being fascinated by the pictures and articles that came from the conference.  Everyone looked so happy and like they were having such a FABULOUS time.  Now, I know its because they really were. 

There is something to be said for being surrounded by thousands of people who are as passionate about something as you are, and also, who understand exactly where you are at in your "career" because they have been there, are still there, or are hoping to be there by next year's conference.  Whether you are published, unpublished, or whether your manuscript is even finished, there is a sense of community at the event that makes you feel welcomed.  You walk in and think, "Ah, my people...".  And they are my people. 

I met some of the most amazing women and amazing writers there.  On the second night of the conference I wound up going out to dinner with three other ladies from the conference.  We had a district manager for Barnes and Noble from Phoenix, an Engineer for Boeing from Seattle, a Graphic Designer from Fargo, and myself, a Social Worker and Counseling grad student from Kentucky all at one table.  We had just met, and we talked for hours.  As different as night and day, we had a common interest, romance novels, both the reading and writing of.  And if the collective intelligence and achievements of that group doesn't show the world that romance novelists are some of the smartest people around, then the world can just go read its literary fiction until it falls into a deep, boredom induced sleep. 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT! :) Great post, Chasity, and welcome to the blogosphere. Meeting you was certainly a highlight of the conference for me!

    ReplyDelete